Sunday, April 20, 2008

Entering into the Passion of Music....... Again.

This last evening I went with a parishoner of St. Paul's Church to a choir rehearsal. This choir was and unusual choir in that it wasn't formed for performing at all. Infact, to my suprise this group gives absolutley NO performances at all.

The London Motet and Madrigal Chorus was formed over 60 years ago by a group of retired singers who just wanted the chance to keep singing. Over it's history the group has grown and transformed into it's current state repetoire, but still keeps the same mission- singing for the enjoyment of singing. About 40 people gathered at the Methodist International Center for a fun and light-hearted rehearsal of various English Madrigals and Sacred Works.

I immediatley noticed that I was the youngest singer in the group by about 30 years. This, however, didn't prevent anyone from coming up to greet me. "Welcome!", said an elderly man with a thick Welsh accent. "Are you a Tenor or Barritone?" "I am a Tenor", I replied. He then kindly brought me over to the Tenor section and had a very enteratining argument with another chap about if I should sing First Tenor or Second Tenor. "He looks like he is a wonderfully spirited young man who should have the privilage of singing First Tenor with me!", one of the men said. "Now, it is not polite to put a new guest in the front row!", stated the other. It was finally decided that I would sing Second Tenor along side an elderly professor from the University of London called Bert. "I'm glad you're here! I dont' have much of a voice today!", said Bert.

I was immediatley given three thick English Madrigal books and looked through a list of pieces that we were going to sing. As soon as I started looking through the book, I heard a loud clearing of the throat from the conductor's stand: "aaaaakkkkhhhhhheeeeemmmmm". There stood a nicely dressed, very slender, middle aged man. "I am so glad that you have come out this evening to sing with us!", he said in one of the most stereotypical English Professor accents I have ever heard. The conductor's name was Jonathan. Jonathan works as choir master for a church down the road and also gives some of his time to the local universities as visiting faculty. His quirky "Britishness" made me like him instantly and he did a wonderful job at keeping the group together.

As soon as we started singing the first piece, I felt a new part of me come to life. Oh how I have missed being in a choral ensemble- more than I really even thought. "This is so incredible!", I thought to myself as Bert was blaring into my ear and Jonathan was doing a wierd "Madrigal Dance" up in front. In many ways, I felt like I was home.

As I walked back to the Vicarage after rehearsal singing Madrigal tunes I realized how much music needs to be a part of my life. Not only in the case of listening to it, but being involved in it. I think everyone has a certain spiritual part of them that is fed by a certain somthing. Maybe it is writing, or painting, or even walking. What I know about myself now is that singing feeds that part of me in a very real way. You can bet I'll be back for the next rehearsal!

No comments: