Friday, June 6, 2008

God's Presence and Father Malcolm's Motorcycle

In July, we will be taking 30 kids from our pairsh about 100 miles north of London for the annual Children's Holiday. Being a Pastoral Assistant, I am directly involved in the planning of this adventure. One thing I do know about it is that it is going to be an adventure for sure! "It always is when you take inner city kids out of their element and into the country", says Father Malcolm. Even though it can be stressful at times with all of the details in planning, I have enjoyed working with Father Malcolm in getting this week off the ground.

To get better prepared for this event, Father Malcolm invited me to come along with him up north to see the Chellington Center (where we will be staying) and make a desicion between two retreat centers we want to take the kids during two of the days. I responded eagerly because I knew what was coming next after his invitation. "So, do you want ride with me on my bike? It'll be much faster than a car.", he said. Of course, when Father Malcolm means "his bike", he isn't talking about a little 18 speed touring bike that you are lucky to not get hit with in London traffic. No, he is talking about his prized posession- a Honda Motorcycle.

Now, Father Malcolm like many of us has a hidden side. Ofcourse, all of us do in one form or another and some are better at hiding it than others. Maybe it's your secret hobby of collecting "cool rocks" or your fascination with wierd looking buildings. For Father Malcolm, it's being free of all things that hold you down; it's a desire for speed and motorcycles. Perhaps this was infused within him when he owned his own construction business before becoming a priest, or even in his teenage years when he grew up in the inner city of Cape Town, South Africa. Whenever he took on this "other side", Father Malcolm is the only priest I have ever known to do his pastoral visiting in black boots, leather straps, bike jacket......and a clerical collar.

Thus, I sheepishly got on the back of the motorcycle for the first time excited but not really knowing what to expect. I put on this HUGE, space age looking motorcycle helmet and hung on. Going through London traffic was not bad at all. It was great to weave in and out of vehicles and not really get held up by big traffic jams. We then got on the M1 (an English freeway) and ran into construction.... 45mph.......55mph....60mph.... It wasn't that bad really at all. Then, the construction came to an end, and my life flashed before my eyes....AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! We accelerated like a bullet out of a gun and tore down the freeway. The wind was so much that it jittered my entire body.

At first, I was scared out of my mind. I froze up and hung onto Malcolm with all of my strength. What if we slipped? What if we fell? What if I got run over by a truck? I couldn't bare the thought of it. I then focused my attention onto Malcolm and made a big discovery. I noticed how relaxed he was and how he just leaned back and forth with the bike. I said a little prayer and asked that I could relax just like Malcolm. I let go of my white knuckled grip a little and sunk into the seat of the motorcycle. I suddenly felt a smooth sense of calm come over me and began to notice the most beautiful landscape that we were entering into.

In my mind, I suddenly realized how my own life can be reflected on this experience. Life can be a freeway in many ways- sometimes so slow that we can't even bare it and sometimes so fast that we that we have no idea on what will come next. In my own journey, I am in a very fast and accelerated moment right now and sometimes want to hold on for dear life. But God continually helps me see to relax and sink back into the seat a little. When I find I do relax and move with the "back and frow" movement that occurs, I have the blinders removed and can be thankful for where I am right now. For Christ is there with us and inviting us to enjoy the journey.

After our long day of desicions and riding through the country, we finally made it back to London. I thanked Malcolm for allowing me to take part in his "motorcycle hobby". "It reminds you how God is always there doesn't it", he said. He is very right. God is always here. No matter if you are standing still or blasting down the freeway at 95 mph. May we all feel God's presence in the slow and fast parts of our lives.

No comments: